Sad Day For America, But God.
In the wake of today’s monumental and disheartening Supreme Court declaration that same-sex marriage is now legal in all 50 states I want to drop a few lines of hope, encouragement, and instruction.
1. God is still God.
2. Pray. Love. Repeat.
3. We cannot expect unbelievers to believe, embrace, and practice the Bible.
4. We cannot be afraid to call something sin that Jesus clearly states is sin in His Word.
5. Sin is sin and my sin is just as sinful as any other sin.
6. Jesus forgives sin, but He doesn’t excuse it. Remember, the last thing He said to the adulterous woman (after he defended her and forgave her) was “go and sin no more.”
7. Jesus befriended sinners. He didn’t push them away.
8. Let’s not forget that Romans 2:4 says that it’s the GOODNESS of God that leads people to repentance. [Tweet this!]
The Message translation lays it out like this: “God is kind, but he’s not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change.” -Romans 2:4 (MSG)
What does this mean? We don’t have to change to come to Christ, but after we encounter Him, He changes us.
9. Be careful what you post via social media. Be careful how you post via social media. Don’t react. Think and pray before you post. If you’re a jerk – no one is listening.
10. If I disagree with the SCOTUS does that mean I cannot remain friends with gay people? No.
Will I ever perform a gay wedding? No.
Will I continue loving gay people? Yes.
The following quote by Rick Warren has gotten a lot of internet miles over the years but it’s still true and still worth sharing:
“Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.” -Rick Warren
So…what now? Pray. Love. Repeat.
“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” -2 Chronicles 7:14 (NLT)
Grace & Truth,