I’m sitting on a plane with Annette on our way to San Diego to meet with some church planters and pastors. I gotta tell you a funny story to kick things off. There was a woman on our flight to Dallas who kept looking across the aisle and smiling at us. I was oblivious but I think Annette was beginning to get creeped out. As we got up to exit the plane the woman came up to me and asked, “Are you going to Cabo San Lucas?” She acted as if she didn’t believe me when I told her, “Nope.” Then she added (while almost winking), “You look very familiar.” Yep, the Sammy Hagar curse strikes again. I should have just whispered, “By the way, I can’t drive 55.” [The photo above is from a pastor/celebrity look-a-like contest that I took first place in.]
Anyway, here’s my weekly recap and feedback from Sunday’s service.
- In my opinion, our worship service in all three services was phenomenal! I almost threw out the message in the third service and told the band to keep going. One of these days we’re going to have a special all-worship service.
- This was the song list: All Because of Jesus, I Am Free, Reaching For You, Burning Ones.
- I began the message with this embarrassing video. Me & Oj went on a ski retreat to Winter Park a few weeks ago and thank God Oj wore a helmet cam. I thought it would be funny to ski directly at Oj without hitting him. Oops. Enjoy.
- For Part 6 of our Word Up series we focused on the phrase, “I will be taught the everliving, ever-breathing Word of God.”
- I will be taught. See 2 Timothy 2:15, Acts 17:11, and Romans 15:4.
- …the Everliving Word of God. See Genesis 1:1a, Revelation 22:13, and Isaiah 40:7-8.
- …the Ever-breathing Word of God. See 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:19-21, and 1 Corinthians 2:13.
- Two different forms of the Word of God: 1. Jesus (Living Word) 2. Speech (God’s decrees, Gods words of personal address, God’s speech through human lips, and Written form – the Bible.)
- 4 Characteristics of Scripture: Authority, Clarity, Necessity, Sufficiency.
- Studying to show yourself approved unto God requires you to be: 1. Devoted 2. Deliberate 3. Disciplined 4. Dedicated 5. Dubious 6. Detailed. [These 6 points were acquired from STR.org.]
- For the rest of my notes you can listen to the podcast.
- We ended the service by partaking communion together.
I’m wrapping (no pun intended) my weekly wrap as I sit in a San Diego hotel room overlooking the Pacific Ocean. God opened the door for me to hang with Tom Elmore and some new church planter friends for separate intimate training sessions with megachurch pastor Ryan Meeks and pastor/author Larry Osbourne. I’m ready to learn.
I’m excited to say our Word Up series will continue this Sunday as our Focus Groups Pastor Chris Papazis examines the phrase, “My mind is alert. My heart is receptive.”